This is the only apple muffin recipe you’ll ever need.
Muffins are one of my favourite treats to bake for my family. You can shove all kinds of ingredients in them, you don’t need to bust out the stand mixer, and there are no special techniques required. I have yet to meet a muffin recipe that I can’t have in the oven within 10-15 minutes.
Muffins are particularly a favourite breakfast in our home. But I’m a little bit fussy about the muffins I give my kids at breakfast time – they need to contain at least a bit of fruit (or vegetable!) to rest my conscience over the fact that I’m dosing them with sugar first thing in the morning.
These apple cinnamon muffins are probably the muffin recipe I turn to the most at breakfast time.
They’re sweet, they’re moist, they have a little crunch on top, and it only takes me about five minutes to throw the ingredients together in a bowl. Jackson (my fellow early-riser) enjoys joining me in the kitchen, and this recipe is a great one to involve the kids with – cracking eggs, stirring, sprinkling sugar, and even grating the apple if they’re old enough (Jackson isn’t yet, but one day…).
At this time of year, it’s usually still dark when I get up with Jackson. I like to boil the kettle to make us cups of tea, turn on the dim kitchen light, and help him up onto the yellow kitchen stool to help. It takes a bit longer with him at my side (he must taste test absolutely every ingredient!) but I like the memories it’s creating, and I like that it means he’s engaged in an activity with me first thing in the morning, and not watching TV.
While the muffins are baking, I wash the dishes and clean up the kitchen (sometimes Jackson “helps” with that too!). And then Chris and Everley wake to the cozy smell of apple and cinnamon coming out of the oven.
It’s all very Hygge.
Here’s my one and only recipe note. We vary in our taste for toppings. Jackson and I like slices of apple baked on top of our apple muffins. Chris and Everley prefer a more plain top. Either way, I sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the lot before baking. Sometimes after baking too. Just a li’l bit.
Anyway, less talk, more apple muffins recipe, right?
Classic Apple Muffins With Cinnamon
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 apples peeled and grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 80 g melted butter
Apple cinnamon sugar topping
- 1 apple sliced thinly (optional)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180° C. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cases.
- Add flour, cinnamon, brown sugar and grated apples to a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Pour in buttermilk, egg and melted butter. Whisk until all ingredients are just combined.
- Spoon muffin mixture into prepared muffin tin. Add apple cinnamon sugar topping. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool in tray for 5 minutes. Serve immediately because warm muffins are LIFE-GIVING THINGS.
Apple Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- Combine granulated sugar and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon to create cinnamon sugar.
- If using sliced apple, lay 2-3 slices on each muffin and press down lightly.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar liberally over the top of the muffins.